Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links and we may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you sign up or purchase products or services mentioned.
What do you put your identity in?
The world teaches your identity is founded in things like success, money, relationships, love, status, work, and appearance. The Bible teaches the contrary. Once you’re saved, your identity is in Christ.
The book of Matthew records Jesus saying, “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (Matthew 7:24-27 NIV).
Are you the one who builds your foundation on the rock? Or are you the one who builds on sand? If you’re in Christ, your identity is in him. Here are powerful Bible verses about your identity in Christ.
What does your identity in Christ mean?
Identity in Christ is a phrase we throw around often as Christians, but what does it mean?
Your identity is who you are or what you put your worth, meaning, and value into. Before Christ, I put my identity in health. Now that I’m a Christian, I know my identity is in Christ.
What does the Bible say about our identity?
The Bible says a lot about our identities as Christians. Before Christ, we’re dead in sin. After Christ, we’re made new and alive.
Here’s what the Bible says about our identity.
Bible Verses About Who We Are
Once you’re saved, you’re made new. You have a completely new identity.
Here’s are Bible verses about who are are:
- You’re loved: “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?” (Romans 8:35 NIV).
- You’re a child of God: “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,” (John 1:12 NIV).
- You’re redeemed: In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace,” (Ephesians 1:7 NIV).
- You’re accepted: “Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God,” (Romans 15:7 NIV).
- You’re an ambassador for Christ: “We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us,” (2 Corinthians 5:20 NIV).
Bible Verses About Identity
The Bible talks quite a bit on identity.
Here are Bible verses that talk about identity:
- Genesis 1:27: “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” (ESV).
- 2 Corinthians 5:17: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” (ESV).
- Jeremiah 1:25: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” (ESV).
- Ephesians 2:10: “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (ESV).
Bible Verses About Identity and Worth
The Bible talks about our identity and worth as believers.
Here are Bible verses about value and worth:
- Luke 12:6-7: “Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” (NKJV).
- Psalm 139:14: I will praise You, for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And [that] my soul knows very well.” (NKJV).
- 1 Corinthians 6:20: “For you were bought with a price.” (ESV).
Bible Verses About Identity in Christ
The Bible talks about our identity in Christ, particularly in the New Testament.
Here are Bible verses about your identity in Christ:
- Galatians 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
- Romans 8:17: “And if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.” (ESV).
- Ephesians 4:24: “And to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” (ESV).
Bible Verses About Finding Your Identity
Our 20’s are often a season of finding our identity. The Bible talks about finding your identity in Christ.
Here are Bible verses about finding your identity:
- Jeremiah 1:5: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
- 1 Peter 2:9: “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.“
- 1 Timothy 1:7: “But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.”
Be encouraged as you rest in your identity in Christ.